Hiyah everyone,

I have two routers, Router2 and Router3, one a 2500 and the other a 2600.
Configuring CHAP on the link, I just need (supposedly) to include these
lines on the global config

Router2(config)# username Router3 password abc

Router3(config)# username Router2 password abc

And apply "ppp auth chap" to the interfaces. However, when doing this, the
link becomes more of a flapping link, and, running "debug ppp auth", there
is no authentication success.

However, if I were to do this:

Router2(config)# username Router3 password abc
Router2(config)# username Router2 password abc

Router3(config)# username Router2 password abc
Router3(config)# username Router3 password abc

and apply CHAP on the respective interfaces, the link just comes up!

>From the various sources that I checked, the former implementation would've
worked, but in my case, the latter works, not the former. I'm wondering
whether this is due to IOS version issues or not. I'm not in the office now,
so I can't check the versions atm.

Any comments on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kenneth