From: MADMAN [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 4:18 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Studying Switching [7:75030]

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

> At 5:00 PM +0000 9/10/03, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>
>>Tim Champion wrote:
>>
>>> All the info relating to this book is good and I'm going to buy
>>> on the back
>>> of these reviews but....... what makes people write switching
>>> related poems?
>>
>>Because if we don't laugh at ourselves then we have to cry! :-) You should
>>have heard the explanations of a brouter back in the 80s. You think people
>>are confused now, but they were even more confused back then! And now we
>>have Layer 3 switches!
>>
>>Priscilla
>

> Brouter was bad enough.  Then, when Synoptics and Cisco were
> contemplating a merger of Synoptics hubs and Cisco routers, the term
> (see the little green Cisco glossary) was Rub and Rubsystem.

   Contemplating?  I seem to recall a Cisco router blade that we tested
in about 1990 that you plugged into a Snyoptics hub.

> Later, when Cisco came out with combined hubs and routers, the
> official term was hublet.  When I asked one of my classes if anyone
> knew the new term, someone replied "houter?" (use American
> pronunciation).

   I like the Queens English pronunciation better ;)

   Dave
> http://shop.groupstudy.com

David Madland
CCIE# 2016
Sr. Network Engineer
Qwest Communications
612-664-3367

"Emotion should reflect reason not guide it"
http://shop.groupstudy.com