At 5:00 PM +0000 9/10/03, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>Tim Champion wrote:
>>
>>  All the info relating to this book is good and I'm going to buy
>>  on the back
>>  of these reviews but....... what makes people write switching
>>  related poems?
>
>Because if we don't laugh at ourselves then we have to cry! :-) You should
>have heard the explanations of a brouter back in the 80s. You think people
>are confused now, but they were even more confused back then! And now we
>have Layer 3 switches!
>
>Priscilla

Brouter was bad enough.  Then, when Synoptics and Cisco were
contemplating a merger of Synoptics hubs and Cisco routers, the term
(see the little green Cisco glossary) was Rub and Rubsystem.

Later, when Cisco came out with combined hubs and routers, the
official term was hublet.  When I asked one of my classes if anyone
knew the new term, someone replied "houter?" (use American
pronunciation).