The uBR924 is a DOCSIS compatible modem which will receive its configuration
from a CATV service provider. While it is a router, the default operation is
as a non intelligent bridge (no spanning tree). Generally you will not be
able to use any local configuration. The console port can even be disabled
remotely as part of the downloaded configuration.

A short synopsis of a cable modem registration:

1.Cable modem powers up
2.Cable modem listens for a Down Stream HF Signal
3.Aquiring DS signal it then power ranges ( adjust power )
4.Waits for Message telling what Upstream Frequency to adjust to
5.Waits for Message with Free Request Slots
6.On to standard IP DHCP process
7.DHCP provides: name of download config file, TFTP server address, DHCP
address, possibly TOD address(TOD has to be there for CISCO to work)
8.Downloads config file
9.Modem now online and Starts passing PC DHCP info.

This is not an exhaustive list of what takes place but you should get the
idea.

The Cable company has control of your configuration. I suggest you contact
them and see if you have an account and they have added you to the database
so your system will be recognized. There are security issues that I have not
gone into.

Cisco offers a class: "Introduction to Cisco Cable Routers" which covers
both the uBR900 series and CATV side router 7223/7246.

Mike Mizzoni
Yesterdays Memories, Inc.
Consultant, Instructor