When using a BRI interface as a backup interface for a serial interface, the
BRI interface goes into standby mode and cannot be used for anything else.
However, if I make the BRI interface a member of a dialer pool and create
two dialer interfaces for that pool to act as logical interfaces for the one
BRI interface, I can make the dialer interface 1 the backup interface for
the serial interface, and use dialer interface 2 to communicate through my
BRI interface while it's not being used as a backup.

This is all too cool !!! - Now to the questions:

1) What happens if the WAN on the serial interface goes down and the dialer
interface 1 becomes active and then I try to use dialer interface 2?

2) What happens if I am using the dialer interface 2 when the WAN on the
serial interface goes down and the dialer interface 1 wants to use the BRI
interface?

My own guess is that the normal rule for dialer interfaces / dialer pools
takes effect regardless of the backup interface usage, so if a physical
interface is in use by a dialer interface, the requesting dialer interface
will have to wait until the fast-idle timeouts on the active dialer
interface.

Thanks,

Ole

 Ole Drews Jensen