>From what I understand from the BCRAN course, you are right, the ISDN will
not disconnect just because the Serial line went down if you are using it.
However, if you configure your logical dialer without load thresholds and
ppp multilink you can use 1 B channel for 1 connection so that if you are
dialing out one dialer it will use a single b-channel and when the link goes
down and it uses the other dialer interface it will use the second
b-channel. We do something similiar excpet we use 2 dialer interfaces for
backup to use a single BRI. When the PVC's go down one dialer will use 1
b-channel and the other will use the next b-channel on a single BRI. I do
not believe you can configure which B-channel to use, just don't configure
PPP multilink or dialer load thresholds, and the 2 maps will use the
available channel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ole Drews Jensen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 10:50 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: BCRAN: ISDN backup

When using a BRI interface as a backup interface for a serial interface, the
BRI interface goes into standby mode and cannot be used for anything else.
However, if I make the BRI interface a member of a dialer pool and create
two dialer interfaces for that pool to act as logical interfaces for the one
BRI interface, I can make the dialer interface 1 the backup interface for
the serial interface, and use dialer interface 2 to communicate through my
BRI interface while it's not being used as a backup.

This is all too cool !!! - Now to the questions:

1) What happens if the WAN on the serial interface goes down and the dialer
interface 1 becomes active and then I try to use dialer interface 2?

2) What happens if I am using the dialer interface 2 when the WAN on the
serial interface goes down and the dialer interface 1 wants to use the BRI
interface?

My own guess is that the normal rule for dialer interfaces / dialer pools
takes effect regardless of the backup interface usage, so if a physical
interface is in use by a dialer interface, the requesting dialer interface
will have to wait until the fast-idle timeouts on the active dialer
interface.

Thanks,

Ole

 Ole Drews Jensen