Yes, the file server is in the same room as the switch and it's connected at
100/full.  All other hosts are in a different room connected via cat3
cabling and running at 10/half (no autonegotiation).  We have checked the
cabling distances are the longest cable was about 100 feet.

I have been pinging the hosts and server from a router that is also
connected to the switch at 10/half, and is also in the same room.

The switch is a Baystack 303, but i think just for grins I'll run up there
and replace it with a newer 310 to see what happens.

I would LOVE to have a sniffer and/or RMON probe right now, but alas, we
have neither.  :-(  I've got the software to analyze rmon information, but
nothing to analyze!