I think a host table is typically parsed from top to bottom, so your name is
being resolved as soon as the first entry is read, which explains why you
were successful when you rearranged the IP addresses.  Even a DNS server
will give you an IP address that's down if there are multiple IP addresses
for the same hostname and it happens to feed you the one that's down.  The
point is that whether it's a hosts file or a DNS server, your request for
name resolution only returns one IP address, not a whole list from which you
can try each address.

hth
Lorenzo

8mvpvj$l23$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8mvpvj$l23$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...