Jason,

Since you did not specify if you were trying to ping NetBIOS name or DNS
name, I am going to assume that you were trying to ping the NetBIOS name,
but will also give an explanation of trying to ping the DNS name.

NetBIOS
To avoid confusion on the server when pinging by NetBIOS name, the server
will respond only to the primary IP address bound to the NIC; however, you
can define multiple NetBIOS names to multiple IP addresses via a HOST file
or WINS.  The fact that the interfaces were down tells me that someone did
not know what to do with the IP addresses and stuck them there OR was
playing around.

DNS
One of the reasons behind adding multiple IP addresses to a server would be
to define multiple web sites to a server, shared hosting.  Is there IIS or
its equivalent running on the box?  If yes, then you have your
answer-multiple web sites

Stevan

8mvpvj$l23$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8mvpvj$l23$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...