Frank,

I had the same problem as you did with the concept before.  I believe that
Sean and Chris are both talking about the same thing.  RSM module is
essentiality a router that is design to route between VLANs instead of
networks.

Remember, there are many kinds of switches.  (Ethernet, Token Ring, ATM)
Main purpose of VLANs is to limit broadcast (that's what most of us use it
for but there are other uses like security).

>From a design point of view and to keep it simple.  At the access layer,
each switch will have one VLAN.  At the distribute layer you would have
switches with RSP in it. It will function as the security, switching/routing
between the VLANs.  At the core layer, you can have only switches.  All
broadcast had been stop or change to unicast at the distribute layer.  In a
WAN situation, those switches could be ATM.

If you have no broadcast in your network at all, you can do without the RSP
and the VLANs.  I am not sure how such a network would work but Howard or
Priscilla can probability tell you.

I hope this helps.  A really good book to read about switching is CCIE
Professional Development: Cisco LAN Switching.

Albert