I do not think Cisco would discontinue the use of secondary IP addresses.
There are so many different uses for them and it seems (at least in my
experience)
that every network hack out there always uses them --- not that i necessarily
always like them--- but if you customers use it and need it there is no reason
to remove it.......

my 50 cents (unable to the sense key)