Right off the bat, I would say change one of the areas to Area 51 and
be done with it. ;-)   It is typically not hard to change the area.
_ESPECIALLY_ with the fact it is already attached to the Backbone!

My understanding, and a quick search at my 2nd favorite search engine,
only showed virtual-links being used for connecting an area _to the
backbone_ and discontiguous Area 0s.

IE:

(Area_5)---virtual-link-thru-Area_7---(Area_7)===(AREA_0)===(Area_8)

and

(Area0)===(Area8)===(Area0)

Changing the OSPF process won't cut it either {for those of you
thinking...just run 2 processes}
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/104/2.html   states:

     The OSPF process-id is a numeric value
     local to the router. It does not have
     to match process-ids on other routers.
     It is possible to run multiple OSPF
     processes on the same router, but is
     not recommended as it creates multiple
     database instances that add extra
     overhead to the router.

So it's a process ID & not an AS.

...that's my encapsulation, and I'm sticking to it...

TroyC