Watchdog timer is used for timing software or hardware
operations that misbehave and take unexpectedly long
time to finish ( if they finish ).
Watchdog timers are reset at the beginning of each
operation. If the Watchdog timer expires while an
operation is taking place, an exception is flaged and
the system may reset.

This is what you see .
It is always a problem and can be a software bug or
hardware failure . If it is a one time event you could
close your ticket , if it persist then it will need
some attention . As with ALL crashes , get at least
the sh stack , version , router logs to start with.
If you gathered the info look at cco if you can match
a bug id , if you can't open a tac case .

flem

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hey Team, Here is a piece of the show ver command:
>
> Atlanta_1 uptime is 10 minutes
> System restarted by watchdog timer expired at
> 05:59:11 pdt Tue Aug 15 2000
>
> Here's the deal. We manage net's for various clients
> where we get snmp tickets from our clients. We got
> one that said Cisco Up with reboot. We get these
> often but this one said the cause was due to a
> watchdog timer expiring. Nobody in the office can
> figure out for sure what this is. I went to CCO and
> got this from them on the watchdog timer: "Hardware
> or software mechanism that is used to trigger an
> event or an escape from a process unless the timer
> is periodically reset. See also watchdog." and now
> watchdog: "Watchdog timer manager that runs on the
> NP of each LightStream 2020 ATM switch in an ATM
> network. The watchdog process rearms the watchdog
> timer so that the system automatically restarts if
> the NP fails." Seems simple enough right? Here's the
> catch. This happened on a 2610 router and I doubt
> it's running ATM at all. Could someone please help
> us out and clarify what this is so I can close this
> damn ticket ;)  Thanks team,
>
> Mark Zabludovsky ~ CCNA, CCDA
> UNISYS
> e-@ction Network Managment Services