From: Brian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2000 4:08 PM
To: Luobin Yang
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why couldn't ping to this address?

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Luobin Yang wrote:

> I have the following problem, two routers are connected by ethernet.
> Here are my configurations for RouterA and RouterB
>
> RouterA:
> interface ethernet0
> ip address 172.16.20.1 255.255.255.0
> no shut
>
> int loopback0
> ip address 192.68.11.1 255.255.255.0
>
> router bgp 1
> neighbor 172.16.20.2 remote-as 1
> network 192.68.11.0 mask 255.255.255.0
>
> RouterB:
> interface ethernet 0
> ip address 172.16.20.2 255.255.255.0
> no shut
>
> int loopback0
> ip address 192.68.1.1 255.255.255.255
>
> router bgp 1
> neighbor 172.16.20.1 remote-as 1
>
> When i use extended ping from 192.68.1.1 to 192.68.11.1 ,  it failed.
> But if i use standard ping from RouterB to 192.68.11.1 , it works.
> Does anybody know the reason why?

How is RouterA suppose to know how to get to 192.68.1.1 (The return
packets)?  Do you think BGP is going to do that for you?  Try "sh ip bgp
neigh 172.16.20.1 adv" on Router B..............does it show its
advertising 192.68.1.1?  Probably not.  You should add a network statment
so that it gets advertised.  Also your mask on RouterA is 255.255.255.0
for the loopback (do you really need to bind an entire /24 to
loopback)?  On routerB its just a /32...........stick with /32's or
non-overlapping networks imho

Brian