On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Hixon Sgt James R Jr wrote:

> This is wrong Brian, and you need research some things before you tell other
> people the wrong answers. You want to turn the BGP sync off by the no sync
> command, so that the BGP routes will be in the IGP routing table. This is a
> rule of BGP scalability issues, and you DO NOT want it off if you are
> connecting to multiple ISP's or service providers. Again, the link to look
> at this is

James,

Please, no anamosity needed.......I am honestly trying to give the right
advice here.

If you run BGP4, to multiple upstream providers, from your border router,
you would, in most cases (95%) run with "no sync"........that is the most
common thing to do.  Just talking in general terms, if you have a router
network, which has a border router, and all your transit comes into it,
keeping it simple, you normally dont start distributing igp's into bgp and
bgp into igp's etc, and you normally run with "no sync".

The way it is usually handled, is you run BGP with "no sync".  Make
"network" entries in your BGP config for the aggregate networks you are
announcing.  Nail down your aggregate routes by creating static routes on
your border to either a loopback or null interface with a high
administrative distance (250).

For most of the time, the transit routers all speak BGP, and so running no
sync is the way to go.  In cases where you are passing transit over
multiple routers, and you are using iBGP, yadda yadda, then yes sync may
have its place.

If all your transit borders run BGP.......then you don't have a
problem.  They, and only they, really need to know about BGP routes, the
rest of the network can just reach those routes via default.

Brian