On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Billy Monroe wrote:

> A potential employer (an ISP)  told me that they need to deploy a project to
> enable network access to remote users. He mentioned they are considering
> Aironet. Probably the distance is the key factor: if you are in a building
> Aironet will provide wireless connectivity.

Within an office/wherehouse use DSSS is "ok", like Aironet.  But for
building Point to Multipoint wireless networks for residential access in
tier 1-3 cities FHSS technology is much better.

DSSS may work, initially, but it doesn't take much for someone to screw
you up and take you offline.

> I mentioned VPNs because I thought VPNs could also be a solution to provide
> connections between mobile or remote users with their corporate networks via
> a third-party network such as a service provider ... (and please correct me
> if I am wrong)

Yes, if the corporate headquarters was connected to an ISP wireless, and
the user was roaming wireless, then the ISP could enable the mobile user
to have a VPN to the corporate HQ.

brian