Studying for the CCNA, I'm having trouble figuring out what the deal is with
poisen reverse.

I understand split horizon as not sending route updates back out the port
they are received on, and I understand route poisening as specifically
advertising a down route as bad, as opposed to just not sending any info
about it at all.  From reading in the Sybex as well as both Cisco Press ccna
books I understand poisen reverse as sending a route poisening back out the
port it was received in order to facilitate faster convergence and avoid
loops in large networks.....and then they move on as if that's the end of the
story.

So Router A notices a down link on one of it's ports and sends an update to
Router B telling it about the down route.  Router B then sends an update back
to Router A informing it of the fact.  At this point the Router A in me wants
to say, "No Kidding it's down, I just told YOU that, why are you bothering me
with this information."

There must be something basic I am missing here, such as just what is Router
A doing with the poisen reverse update it gets from Router B telling it it
knows the route is bad.

Any comments appreciated.

Joe