Check out an EIGRP protocol analyzer trace and you'll see poison reverse in
action. It is more proactive then what you describe.

When Router A tells Router B "I can get to Network X," Router B tells
Router A, "I can't get to Network X."

What Router B is really saying is "I can't get to Network X except through
you, Router A. Don't use me as a feasible successor." (Though the packet
doesn't actually say all that specifically, which can be a bit confusing
when you first look at an EIGRP trace.) But it does indeed speed up
convergence when Router A loses its connection to Network X. Router A won't
try to get there via Router B.

Priscilla