On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, daeola wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> 1.)       Could someone please advise me on the sort of routers suitable
> for a home lab on a student budget.      Basically, the routers that
> would give me enough confidence and experience to tackle most networking
> jobs and pass all certifications up to ccnp and ccdp.
>       After looking through cisco's sites, It's amazing how many
> different routers are available.

don't think in terms of "routers"......instead think in terms of
"interfaces".  A cisco 4000 with 1e 2s, vs. a cisco 2501 with 1e
2s........is really going to do the same for you.  So think about
interfaces/applications.......some things you will want:

ethernet
token ring
fast ethernet (for ISL/dot1q vlans)
async (DDR/etc)
isdn (DDR/isdn)
sync (t1/Frame relay)

that should be fine.  ATM etc is not really needed and probably not within
your budget.  Good routers to look for:

Cisco 1000's (good for ethernet/isdn/serial/async)
Cisco 2500's (good for isdn/ethernet/serial/token ring)
Cisco 800's (good for isdn)

1600's seem to hold too much value, but don't rule them out.

4000's I feel are one of the best deals out there.  You can buy a chassis
for like $400 or so, and then a 2 port serial card is about $110, you can
buy what you need when you need it.

FastEthernet can be "expensive" to get.  The 4000 has a FastEthernet
interface, as does the 3620.

A 3620 can make an interesting router.  You can put a 1fe2w giving you
fast ethernet and 2 WAN slots (isdn/serial), and you can put a 1e1tr2w in
another slot giving you ethernet/token ring/and 2 more wan slots.

just work it all behind your budget.

> and last but not least:
>
> 2.)     Our home network is sited behind a firewall, would this be a
> hindrance for the router or can I still perform all routing as usual.
> Or Would a better option be getting a second IP number and putting my
> network on a different subnet than my roommates?
> Plus we are on a cable modem connection with dynamic IP, although it
> doesn't change frequently..

your lab doesn't need to be connected to a WAN at all...........you can
build your own private network, which is probably best anyways.