Have you checked your config-register setting, and
tried all the baud rates available?

Can you break into rommon and maintain the console
connection? I'm thinking that maybe when the full
image is decompressed the console port stops
responding for some reason. Possible causes could be
memory issues, corrupt image, etc. Have you recently
upgraded the image on this router and maybe theres not
enough RAM to load it? I've seen routers stop
responding because of that. Try re-seating the memory
SIMMs. The NVRAM is EEPROM I believe.

HTH, Let us know how you fix it.

-E