From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
PORTER Tara
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 1:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: UDP and Fragmentation

Hello everybody,
I am in the process of studying for my CCIE written and I came across a
question that I can not find an answer to.  It is about UDP
and fragmentation.  What happens when UDP packets are fragmented? Do the
packets have a sequence number in thier header and does
each segment have a header?

If anybody has an idea of where I can find the anser to that question, it
would be really appreciated.  I've checked the Cisco CD
and numerous books that I have, but I can't seem to find it.  I know the
concept of fragmentation, ie, once a packet is fragmented
it doesn't get reassembled untill the end station.  If one fragment is lost,
the whole thing must be sent again.  In TCP, a packet
is fragmented and a header is put on each packet with a seq # to help the
end device.  But what about for UDP?  Is there any
difference?

Regards,
Tara Porter