Well, I do not think you will be able to get the finer points needed without
serious book study in addition to hands-on and (at least some) training.  Do
get to know the CD, but think of it as a tool you can whip out to overcome
challenges centered around things you missed in study.

After all, you will not be able to bring in Bruce Caslow's fine book when
you take the CCIE lab...

HTH,

Casey