Can anyone give me a logical explanation of what may have caused the
following situation. As background, we are running two core 6509's in our
company which redundantly feed our closets who have a mixture of 6509, 5500,
2900, 1900's with FDDI Gigabit uplinks. We were guessing something to do
with spanning tree but with the TAC's help at least narrowed it down to the
GBIC module on one of the closet 5509's.  First all of our C1900's locked,
bringing down much of our bldg.  Using the "show mac" command on the switch
showed that one GBIC module on the 5509 was broadcasting 100's of thousands
of msgs per second! With help from the tac in finding this we shutdown this
particular GBIC module and low and behold the entire network stabilized and
came back to normal. We have not come up with a reasonable explanation for
this and are afraid to enable the module again, but without it we have lost
our redundancy to this particular closet. Has anyone come across this? Would
appreciate any insight while studying for the 640-504 test next week.

Bob Sites
System Engineer, CCNA