Since we have been quoting Cisco statistics lately, here's one that is
actually quite helpful. Cisco says you should not have more than one CRC
error per megabyte of data on a serial link. The reason they use megabytes
instead of packets is because it's hard to know how big your packets are.
(The thinking is that one error per packet when using 64-byte packets would
be a much higher rate than one error per packet when using 4500-byte
packets, for example.)

The reason they use bytes instead of bits is simply because this statistic
really comes from the protocol analyzer vendors, not Cisco, and those
vendors report statistics in bytes. If you're looking at Cisco output and
it shows bits, be sure to divide by 8 to get bytes.

You should compare the CRCs to the input data, rather than the output data,
I would think, since there's no way to really know if your outputted
packets are encountering problems in transit.

Hope this helps.

Priscilla