with 'clock rate' you can set the clocking of a serial interface used as
dce (as example if you use a back-to-back configuration). As example you
could set the clock-rate of two 2500 series routers connected back-to-back
with their serial interfaces to 4000000 bits per second to create a 4mbit
link. This is possible only on the router with the dce-side of the cable.

'bandwidth' is how the interface speed is reported to the routing pro-
tocols. 'bandwith' does not influence the actual speed of the interface but
can influence routing decisions (depending on the running routing protocols)
Usually it should be necessary only on serial interfaces to set the
bandwidth to the actual value. As example the bandwidth of a serial inter-
face is by default always configured to 1544 Kbit.

group: please correct me if i got something wrong.

Reinhold

--
Reinhold Fischer
CCNP/SCSA/HP Certified Consultant for Network Management