From: Dale Holmes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 1:39 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Telnet password

Eh?

No, I meant is the "service password-encryption" configured on the router?
If so, then the password will not be written in plain text in the router
config file... so if you use a command like:

show running-config

You might see something like:

line vty 0 4
password a9vyt3$l3 7
login

In this case, the password is encrypted. The actual password is not
"a9vyt3$l3". Typing that string in when prompted for a password will not log

you into the router. That's what I am saying (and I thought that's what the
original poster was seeing).

What traverses the wire is of course not encrypted, unless you make it so by

some other means not described here...

Dale
[=`)