Kent ,

In the case of just ip then multiring ip will do .
Multiring will force the router to send out arp as an
SRE ( default ) . In this case you gather a path (RIF)
to the end device . It will show up in 'sh rif'

Procedure in TR is to first send the arp local to the
ring . If you don't have multiring on then this is all
you will get . It you have multiring then the router
will explore localy and if no reply it will send out
the arp as a SRE . This enables you to ping devices
behind SR-bridges .

Inline ..

--- Kent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Never worked with Token Ring in the real life, do

too bad , you miss a lot of fun :)

> not understand why we need to have 'multiring all'
> there to route ip, does it just enalbe the all route
> explorer of ip traffic? If it does, can I say if I
> have two cisco routers hooked up on a hub(or MAU),
> and
> give them ip address in the same lan, say 1.1.1.1/8
> and 1.1.1.2/8, I can not ping one from one the other
> before put 'multiring ip ' under their interfaces?

not true , you can ping the routers if they are
connected to the same ring .

flem

> Thanks
>
> Kent