Patrick,

I will check for loops, however the use of portfast is to put the port
into the forwarding stage of the STP upon connectivity.  The alogorithm
will still run in the background, however you do run the risk of a loop
until the port discovers this.  If a loop is indeed introduced the port
will eventually go into the blocking stage.

Portfast has nothing to do with negotiation.  It only allows the port to
initially skip the listening and learning stages of the alogorithm,
therefore the port goes to forwarding stage upon sensining connectivity.

Joe