From: Ben Lovegrove [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 12:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: "You can call yourself and internetworking engineer when . . .
."

(tongue firmly in cheek)

I have this theory that you can call yourself and internetworking
engineer when . . . .

1.  You have run a debug command on a customer router while
investigating a performance problem, or perhaps a security issue, and
you have caused the CPU to exceed 100% and the router has hung/crashed.

2.  You have edited an ACL remotely and reapplied it only to find you
have blocked all traffic including telnet from your desk and you are
now locked out.

3.  In both of the above scenarios you have made up some story for the
Help Desk/1st Line Support and asked them to get the customer to reboot
the router, claiming that "a reboot may help the performance problem .
. blah . . blah"

4.  In each of points 1 & 2 the customer in question is a major account
that has threatened legal action against your company for failing to
maintain SLAs, or to close the account altogether.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Have you every felt that cold
feeling in the pit of your stomach when you entered a command and the
screen froze?  Did you blame hardware/software/customer/gremlins i.e.
anybody and anything but not yourself?

;-)

Ben

=====
Ben Lovegrove, CCNP
Redspan Solutions Ltd
http://www.redspan.com
Cisco: Products, Training, Jobs, Study Guides, Resources.