However, with a zero CIR you also have to keep in mind that alot of
carriers calculate the subscription load on their switch by the aggregate
CIR of all of the customers on the switch. If they have alot of customers
with a zero CIR on a given switch, then it is more likely to become
over-subscribed (and bogged down).

Fun huh? Not only do they promise diddly-squat, but you don't even count
for anything (except money that is).

Karen E Young
Network Engineer
ELF Technologies, Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    ElephantChild

                    <fox@wanadoo.        To:     Lonnie Paschall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    fr>                  cc:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: Zero CIR

                    nobody@groups

                    tudy.com

                    09/07/2000

                    06:46 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ElephantChild

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Lonnie Paschall wrote:

> I am pretty sure it means that the carrier is no guaranteeing any data
rate.
> I know some gov agencies that got suckered into that agreement years ago.

Basically, that's what it means. But I would hesitate to use the word
"suckered". For one thing, it's dirt cheap. For another, it's basically
what you get from the Internet, so they should've known what they were
buying. "We'll do our best, but we can't guarantee that your data will
make it to the destination at all, let alone at any given rate" is what
"best effort" is all about.

--
Bungee jumping and skydiving are for wimps. If you want to experience
true gut-wrenching terror, have children. --Dusty Rhoades.

http://www.groupstudy.com/list/Associate-Announcement.html