From: Jared Carter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 12:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: BCMSN: STP topology changes

Ole-

When the root switch sends out the topology change BPDU, it does not specify
that Switch E is no longer available.  It simply flips the Topology Change
bit in every Configuration BPDU saying that there has been a topology change
SOMEWHERE.  This lets the switches age out entries in Forward Delay seconds,
15 by default, much faster than the default 300 seconds.  It sends these TC
BPDUs out for Forward Delay + Max Age seconds (a default of 35 seconds).
Once this time is up, it stops flipping the TC bit in the configuration
BPDUs.

The Cisco Press book by Clark/Hamilton, Cisco LAN Switching has two chapters
on STP that are undeniably the best around.  Its worth reading if you're
taking BCMSN.

/Jared