The only thing "between" the core equipment and the distribution equipment
is cabling... network equipment is either a part of the distribution layer,
or a part of the core layer. (Or a part of the access layer.)

Cisco's recommended model is that the core consist strictly of layer-2
devices in order to maximize throughput; with high-performance layer-3
switches reaching the market, that's a less pressing consideration than it
used to be. For most applications, having your distribution-layer equipment
route to a layer-2 core is a good way to do things; however, multicast or
other advanced applications can benefit from a layer-3 core.

Most small-to-medium networks are not going to fully realize Cisco's Access/
Distribution/ Core model anyway; it's far more of an enterprise-network
design model than a universal paradigm.

Perhaps if you gave more concrete examples of what you're trying to do or
what your environment is?

-Gabriel McCall, CCDP/CCNP+Sec

""EXT-Crosby, David M"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> I am looking for real life examples of layer 2 only switches connecting
the core layer to the distribution layer.  I've seen white papers
recommending to use and not use layer 2 only switches between the two
layers.

> If you have installed a layer 2 switch between the core and distribution
layer, please let me know the results.  If it caused problems, what were
they.  Did it solve problems?