> You will never see a 56000 bps connection!  I think the
fastest allowed
> by
> telco due to line parameters is 53300.  I usually get 48000 or
51000.
> But
> after a sustained heavy rain, I only get 16000 or 28000 and
once only
> got
> 9600.  Must have a crack in the insulation on my line between
my home
> and
> the CO.  If you consistently get a low connection speed, you
probably
> also
> get noisy voice connections!

Never say never.  I have regularly connected with a good clean
line between 51.3 and 52~k.  The reason that there is a max
upper limit of 53kbps, is due to restrictions imposed on common
carriers that used to be imposed by the FCC.  You may want to
take a peek at this link and follow the Notice of Proposed
Rulemaking (NPRM)  watch wrap:

CC Docket No. 98-163

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/News_Releases/1998/nrc
c8062.html

It appears that this NPRM was adopted into the CFR here:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PAR
T=68&SECTION=308&YEAR=1998&TYPE=TEXT

So, what does this mean?  Well, it means that common carriers
are no longer restricted by 1975 power levels that limit the
maximum theoretical limit for download speeds.  Unfortunately,
getting Verizon/SBC/Pacbell/whatever to redo their networks to
increase the output gain on the lines might be an entirely
different matter.  Most of the ILECs have focused their
efforts/energies in getting xDSL up and running and technologies
such as POTS and ISDN have taken a lesser priority.

HTH,

Paul Werner

p.s.  If you do want to clean up the copper in your home, start
here:

http://www.teleport.com/~curt/modems.html