From: Chris McCoy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 10:50 PM
To: Bob Wilson; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: can you shutdown a console port?

  I've tried this configuration before, and all I can say is it must set a
bit in NVRAM somewhere that ROM monitor inspects on bootup.  Or ROM monitor
could parse the config in NVRAM.  It also has dependencies on the system
being configured a certain way.  For instance, the bit that determines
whether the router ignores the startup-configuration must be cleared for no
service password-recovery to work.  In fact, it complains otherwise.  When
no service password-recovery is configured, ROM monitor simply refuses to
respond to breaks.  This could definitely suck if you need to break into a
router for legitimate reasons.  This is probably why it is undocumented.  I
would imagine if you could somehow wipe out NVRAM, you could bypass it.

  To make a long story short, there is no substitute for physical security.

Chris M.