Thanks for the help.  Sure enough, it says right there in the RFC.
Sometimes I'm amazed I make it home at night.  One of these days I'm going
to get Dyslexic on the Freeway and end up in California.

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Howard C. Berkowitz"
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: BGP Question
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:13:28 -0400
At 09:14 AM 9/14/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>From Reading the RFC, it seems the the Multi-Exit-Discriminator and the
>Local-Preference fields do the same thing. Additionally, it appears that
>they are not redistributed outside of their Home A/s.
>
>Questions: 1. What's the difference between them?
Local preference is internal and stays inside your AS. MED is external and
goes to directly connected AS.
>2. Do they do the same thing?
They are both ways of affecting route selection, but are intended to do
different things.
Also, a higher local pref is better, but a lower MED is better
>3. How do you advertise to the universe that you prefer traffic to come in
>through one ASBR instead of another.
There's no guaranteed way to do this, but AS path prepending can influence
it.

http://profiles.msn.com.