A little bit Scott, but the first scenario shows it without trunking:

(this should be viewed with a fixed font)

     [SWITCH]          [ROUTER]          [SWITCH]
     [vlan10]----------[      ]----------[vlan20]
     [vlan11]----------[      ]----------[      ]
     [vlan12]----------[      ]----------[      ]

This I believe is wrong, since it should only need one physical connection
between the router and the second switch (to the right) - like this:

     [SWITCH]          [ROUTER]          [SWITCH]
     [vlan10]----------[      ]----------[vlan20]
     [vlan11]----------[      ]          [      ]
     [vlan12]----------[      ]          [      ]

The purpose of the router is to route from one network to another, and if
you would send data from a workstation on vlan11 to a workstation on vlan20,
it should go via the cable connected to the port on the first switch that is
assigned to vlan11. In the router it would be routed to vlan20 which should
only have one connection from that switch.

If you (or anyone else) disagree, please let me know why.

Thanks,

Ole

 Ole Drews Jensen
 Systems Network Manager