From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
John Barnes
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2000 3:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help about a technical interview I had PLEASE!

I had technical with a CCIE interview yesterday, and
I’m not really sure were to go with this.

He asked me a lot of pretty high level questions and
some not so high level, the problem is, I feel some of
the answers he wanted were wrong.  I’m going to post
the questions, the answers I gave, and the answers he
claimed to be correct.  If I’m wrong on these, I’d
like to know.  If I’m right, how would you deal with
this kind of thing?

1)      What is the size of a token ring frame?
My answer: Token ring has a variable frame size.
His answer: 3 bytes..

Isn’t that the size of the Token frame?

2)      What the MTU of a token ring frame?  (Isn’t this
about the same question as #1?)
My answer: slightly larger that 16K (I couldn’t
remember the exact number)
His answer: about 4470 bytes .

Ahh….. what?  He claimed I was thinking about
FDDI…grrrr  Ah… Who’s thinking about what?

3)      What is the decision making process involved when a
packet enters a router?  What three criteria are used
to make this decision?
       My answer:  It depends. Is this the first
packet with this destination to arrive at this router?
 What switching mode is the router configured for.

       His answer:  Forget about that stuff… how does
it determine which route to use.

       My answer:  longest match in the routing table

       His answer:  What if multiple routes exist in
the table.

       My answer:  It depends.

       Ok…..I’m gonna cut to the chase… The answer he
wanted was longest match, Administrative distance,
then metric.  Ahh…. I’m pretty sure is wrong.   The
router looks at AD and Metrics long before the packet
enters the router.  The router uses AD and metric to
populate the routing table, and then longest match
from the routing table to make the decision once the
packet actually enters the router.  Comparing AD and
metric on every known route every time would place
unnecessary burden on the CPU.  Compare it once, make
the decision, and enter it in the RIT.  Even in the
case of IGRP/EIGRP with variance, the next eligible
route is determined before the packet enters the
router.

      Maybe I should have picked up on this stuff when
the recruiter asked me with BGP was a DV or LS based
routing protocol.  My answer… ahh…neither, it’s path
vector.

I’m basically sending this out to get thoughts, and
hopefully Howard, Priscilla or someone can tell me
wether I’m off technically or not.

THANKS!!!!!

-john