Hi all,
I 've been watching this discussons from a passive point. Yeah I agree with
Starry but you all have to be paying on a level ground. At least relatively.

From: "Starry Eyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Personal Excellence Renders No Immunity To H1-B
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:55:15 EDT

I'm sorry I have to wade into this.

The Senator of my state, the Hon. Bob Graham (D), long may he govern us,
sponsored a bill which died an ignomious death on the committee floor.  It
would have allowed for "Guest Workers" with a visa that would allow them to
change employers without applying for a transfer of visa.

Now, I'm a D@MN GOOD Network Engineer.  I am close to the best in my market.
  I would like to get $60 hour contract for my services.  The problem is
that there are now over 125 H1-B network engineers IN MY MARKET.  They are
D@MN GOOD Network Engineers too.  I've met them.  I have a lot of respect
for their abilities.

Follow my reasoning closely, folks.

To get $60 hour for my services, I most likely would have to go through an
agency who would bill me out at, say $150 - $175 - don't deny it, Raymond.
Now, these same agencies are offered fee-splitting deals by a well-known
Indian agency at, say $35/hour - $45/hour.  Heaven knows what the Indian
engineers are taking home, but there are 4 bachelors in a one-bedroom apt.
across the street from me.  I also know of several married men whose
families are back in India.

Who are they gonna go with?

I'm as good as they are, but I'm not willing to live like they live.  If
they weren't here, I could ask whatever I wanted for my services.  The
companies that could afford it would prosper.  The others would have to go
out of business.  It is just simple Econ 101.  When there is more of a
commodity (and we ARE a commodity, at least until we get the CCIE and get
published some), the price drops.

If there's going to be globalization of markets, maybe we need globalization
of worker solidarity.

http://profiles.msn.com.