1) It depends. If you have RSRB configured then the virtual ring number must
be the same on both the bridges whereas this virtual ring number can be
different if you are using DLSW.

2) Yes you are right about the ARP requests. When a LEC receives an ARP
request it forwards the request to the BUS using the multicast send VCC. The
BUS then forwards the request to all the LECs through the multicast forward
VCC. The LEC with the destination device attached will also receive this ARP
request and will forward the request to all ports in the corresponding VLAN.
The destination device will service the request and then the LEC will have
to uni cast this reply back to the oriiginator. Here is where the
LE_ARP_REQUEST is generated in order to map the MAC address of the source to
a NSAP address. In short the IP ARP request is serviced by the BUS while the
LE_ARP_REQUEST is serviced by the LES. Eventually a Data Direct VCC will be
established between the two LECs. There are some other issues before the
successfull establishment of a data direct vcc but i should rather not go
into the details :)

My recommendation is that if you need more insight into ATM LANE and other
advanced switching concepts get a hold of Cisco LAN Switching by Kenedy
Clark.

Regards
Atif