FWIW, I completed MCSE and CCNP without the benefit of classroom training.
It depends on how you learn best and how motivated you are.

For CCNP, I prepared for CCIE and took each of the tests as I felt
comfortable.  The only time I failed (Switching) was when I jumped the gun
and took it to meet the beta deadline as opposed to when I was REALLY ready.
  Missed by < 1 question, darnit.

I have used the Caslow and Doyle books to supplement Cisco's web site and
hands on.

HTH,

Casey

http://profiles.msn.com.