On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Chuck Larrieu wrote:

> Having just exited a three day Global Knowledge class on BGP, let's see if
> anything sunk through this thick skull of mine. Comments in line.

I would choose C.  The wording of the question is "allows Router A to
advertise".   Note that none of the answers LIMIT the advertisement to
just the subnet 10.1.0.0/24.  If no mask is specified, BGP assumes a
classful network.  Answer A has no mask, so should properly be written
"network 10.0.0.0".   C is the only properly-formatted answer which
would allow the /24 subnet.  It would also allow any other subnets of
10.1.0.0/16 to be advertised, which is ok.

> CL: all are wrong with regards to producing the desired result. A) will
> place the network 10.1.0.0 into the BGP process with a mask based on the
> interface configuration. If the interface were a /8 or a /16 or a /17, the
> particular subnet would be advertised. B) syntax is wrong, as is the syntax
> of D) and E)  Answer C) will place network 10.1.0.0/16 ( 255.255.0.0 0 into
> the process.

But by placing it into the process, it indeed would allow the advertising
of a more specific subnet (assuming that such subnet is learned from IGP).
The keywords are "allows to advertise".

> 2. What is the function of the BGP atomic aggregate attribute?
>
>   A. To indicate that the originating router has aggregated the routes
>   B. To specify the BGP router ID and AS number of the router that performed
> the route aggregation
>   C. To specify the AS number of the router that performed the route
> aggregation
>   D. To specify the AS number of the router that performed the route
> aggregation and the AS numbers of the non-aggregated routes
>
> Answer: A.
>
> I have searched the CISCO web site and cannot find information on BGP atomic
> aggregate attribute.

A is correct from the RFC.  Note that if a BGP speaker receives a route
with the attribute set, it will pass it on with the attribute still set.
This makes C incorrect.  Although the AS of the aggregator can be determined
by examining the AS path, the function is to show that the routes are
aggregated.

--
Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/