I was wondering that myself.
Here are the top 10 possibilities, tung and cheek of course.

10) Copper mines are owned by Cisco!
9) It's a union thing, here's 20 bucks please don't ask again!
8) 4 more wires are there in case we forget the IEEE chapter of the
networking manual, whoops!
7) For color blind networkers!
6) It makes the cables twice as strong, thus you can pull twice as hard!
5) Budget cuts and you need somehow to run 2 POTS lines!
4) Job security chose your own colors!
3) Hey my company can do the contract for 1/2 the price!
2) Because that's the way it is so deal with it!
and the number 1 reason Why 8 wires in RJ-45?
1) Copper mines are owned by Cisco!

--
Natasha Flazynski

http://www.ciscobot.com
My Cisco information site.
http://www.botbuilders.com
Artificial Intelligence and Linux development