HP 100VG was a short lived 100 mbps networking technology that used all
eight wires.  This enabled it to even run over category 3 cable as long as
none of the wires was being used for phone services.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Mosely [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 9:43 AM
To: CCIE TB; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Why 8 wires in RJ-45?

I have pulled Cat 5 cable, some 20 to 30 1000' spools,
in the last 2 years (about 5 miles of cable).
One time, on a run of about 500', I had a break in one
of the wires required for Ethernet.

Instead of pulling the wire over again, I changed the
color coding at each end and had a working cable.

There are also some high speed technologies that require
all 8 wires, so if you are converting an old wiring plant
to high speed, you may need to either re-pull higher
standard cable or you may need to use all 8 wires.

What NOT to do with those extra wires: don't run telephone
connections.  It can be done, but is NOT advisable.  There
is a little something called crosstalk, which occurs when
a signal in one wire induces a spurious signal in an
adjacent wire.  Network voltage levels are typically about
1 volt, and telephone ringing voltages can go as high as
90 volts A.C.  The crosstalk that can potentially occur when
the phone is ringing is high enough to damage network equipment.

So, CCIE TB, why don't you use a real name?

Ray Mosely