At 10:21 AM 9/19/00, Ed wrote:
>Silly question... I was always under the impression that routers wouldn't
>retransmit.

The router has to obey CSMA/CD. This functionality is built into the
Ethernet chip set, which is just like the Ethernet chip set you would use
on a PC, server, etc.

>What about switches? Will they retransmit in the case of collisions, or do
>they leave
>it up to the hosts?  (I thought that was the latter as well... ) :)

The switch retransmits when it senses a collision on a frame that it sent.
It has to obey CSMA/CD. Just as with a router, an Ethernet port on a switch
bounds the collision domain. If the originating host had to retransmit that
would mean the collision domain spanned the switch. The switch would have
to act like a hub and pass the jam signal back to the transmitter. This
would wreak havoc on various Ethernet timing parameters, etc.

You can't just memorize a rule that says the router doesn't retransmit,
even though it is true for almost all cases. Perhaps a follow-up study
question would be, in which other cases would the router retransmit?

Priscilla