Haven't heard the term 'switch fabric' since working with the Nortel
Networks' Accelar 1200.  I didn't realize that us Crisco folks were using
this term to describe Crisco equipment as well.  (It maybe a hidden message
from Nortel die-hards in a Crisco world)  Anyway, what this term means, at
least the way I've used it, was to describe the CPU blades of the Nortel
Accelar 1200 routing switch.  In fact, Nortel engineers will constantly use
that term when describing that piece of hardware.  The blades are referred
to this way by name, in fact.

For example, a typical CPU blade is named:  XLR1298SF Silicon Switch Fabric
Module

This switch fabric can be paralleled with the Crisco 'soup' blade or VIP
blade.  Mention 'soup' to a Nortel fanatic and you'll probably receive
quizzical looks as well.  For more information on switch fabric check out
http://www.nortelnetworks.com and look up Accelar (now called
Passport)1200.  I hope this has helped.

Thank you,
Raul De La Garza III
CCNA NNCSS MCSE CNE
Senior Network Engineer
EmCare Incorporated
Work 214.712.2085
Mobile 817.991.7889
FAX 214.712.2444
Pager 877.270.9755
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

WHEN a man begins to think that the grass will not grow at night unless he
lies awake to watch it, he generally ends either in an asylum or on the
throne of an emperor.   ?G.K. Chesterton

                    "C. Cubberley"

                    <ccubberley@st        To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    ate.nj.us>            cc:

                    Sent by:              Subject:     switch fabric???

                    nobody@groupst

                    udy.com

                    09/20/2000

                    07:28 AM

                    Please respond

                    to "C.

                    Cubberley"

Hi all,

   I recently heard the term "switch fabric" in a discussion of cisco 3900
token-ring switches.  I've been searching cisco documentation and can't
seem
to get a good  understanding of what this references.  If anyone can shed a
little clearer light on this, I would greatly appreciate it.  (it probably
is really simple...)

Thanks in advance,
C. Cubberley