I've now attended two of these, and in general have found them both well
worth the effort it takes me to attend
( long drive, work schedule finagling )

The security seminar was focused around securing routers. It was interesting
for me to hear other philosophies. For example, the speaker was not
particularly favorable towards the use of privilege exec level commands, but
for good reason. They can be a pain to configure properly, and can be
difficult to remove. The speaker also spoke of security in terms of what is
appropriate for the level of protection you require. For example, if all you
are protecting are a few files easily duplicated, and not confidential in
nature, your approach might be entirely different than if you were
protecting data the compromise of which can lead to people's deaths ( i.e.
the FBI witness protection program files, for example )

The campus switching seminar proved very valuable to me for a couple of
reasons. Switching is one of my weak areas. The speaker is someone I have
met at Networkers, and about whom I have heard good things from a number of
sources. And the lab that was set up provided a pretty good demonstration of
layer 3 switching, HSRP, and the behavior of the data flows across vlans,
even in situations where spanning tree has to reconverge after path
interruptions.

I attended the presentations in the Mentor Tech San Jose facility. I was
privileged(?) to witness one of the most bizarre incidents I have ever seen,
when one of the attendees spoke out during the security seminar, and
compared  the lecturer to a 1950's state department paranoid who saw
communists behind every bush. He ranted for a moment about how security was
overblown, then stormed out. This was, of course, after having taken
advantage of the free food. ( as an aside, I was eavesdropping on this guy's
conversations before the start of the presentation. He stated to someone
else that he was a network engineer at a major co-location facility, and
that they didn't bother with security of any kind, and that as far as he was
concerned the whole topic was nonsense. All I can say is for those of you
who are considering co-hosting and co-location, you might want to ask a LOT
of questions. )

Check out the Mentor tech web site at
http://www.mentortech.com/learn/series.shtml  for information about the
seminar series. So far it has been fun, has had free food, and has been a
chance to interact with others interested in broadening their horizons. Oh
yeah, and I've learned a couple of things as well.

Note: I receive no consideration whatsoever for saying nice things about
Mentor Tech.

Chuck
CCIE Written October 28 - clock's ticking!