Shahir Boshra wrote:
> My understanding is that since ATM is connection-oriented, all the session
> traffic must follow the same route, hence you have to depend on higher level
> protocol (i.e. TCP/IP) in order to load balance, but someone informed that
> this is an ATM feature..

ATM cant load balance, however you can put in two connections tcp/ip to
load balance between them - with UBR it will be treated as low priority
so itll drop any cells (ATM equivelent of packets) that collide with
other cells, and with ABR the ATM switches will tell the router to
throttle back when needed so they can just use up whatever bandwidth is
spare, but without being treated as low priority.  You need the routers
to actually load balance though - ATM just creates virtual circuits
(that act like individual cables).  You cant tell a serial cable to load
balance with the one next to it and you cant tell a VC to load balance
with the one next to it.

Im wondering though now that Ive said it whether on not you could load
balance between ABR connections as the bandwidth would always be
changing so the path cost would be different.

If all you want is redundancy though you can use soft PVP's so if the
connection drops out, then itll re-establish around the other path.

That said you could do a form of load balancing using NHRP on a per
destination network basis I suspect, as it should create the connection
between routers using whatever route through the ATM network is optimal
at that time.  With a network as samll as the one you diagrammed though,
you are probably just as well creating a mesh of atm connections and
using the routers to load balance between them.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Lauren Child, BSc. CCNP-ATM & CCDP Certified
http://www.laurenchild.net/  http://www.routerfaq.net/