May not be connected with your problem, but are there any firewall's in
between, PIX in particular. If so continue otherwise I'm barking up wrong
tree.
We've had some problems with the fixup protocol smtp 25 command which
activates mailguard and allows only a subset of the smtp command suite. This
caused, for us, exactly this problem of stopping large e-mail attachments.

If anyone has any suggestions for rectifying this other than no fixup smtp
25 I would be interested to hear.

Regards,

Gareth