What kind of mail server?  I would tend to look there first.  For example MS
Exchange Server can use policies to limit outgoing attachment size.

If the mail server checks out OK, I would take a look at traces of what
happens when the session times out and see if there is a 'smoking gun', and
if the session is even hitting the wire.

I would check to see if there is a problem sending ftp files over 1 mb to
eliminate the network devices, but experience points at the application, not
the router.

HTH,

Casey

http://profiles.msn.com.