Well, actually, I was referring to sending data from a larger *access speed* (or
access rate, or port speed - whatever term you prefer) to a smaller one.  Not
CIR.  For example, a frame relay service with 1Mbps access speed at one end,
connected to a service with 256 Kbps access speed at the other end.  Unless you
implement traffic shaping or some other throttling mechanism, your router could
try to send date at 1 Mbps - it will never fit through the 256 Kbps pipe at the
other end.  In this situation, the telco switch will toss away anything above
256 Kbps on that PVC when it first enters the cloud at the 1 Mbps end,
regardless of what the CIR is.
Anything above the CIR but below 256 Kbps will get the DE bit set.

And no, Worldcom isn't very big in this part of the world - it wasn't them :-)

JMcL

---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 04/10/2000 08:34 am

[EMAIL PROTECTED] on 03/10/2000 03:36:40 pm

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]